Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Honey, I'm home!"

It's done. Johan and Janlie wrote their last paper for their Matric exam for this year, and are enjoying a well deserved rest until August when they will start their studying for the last three subjects for next year May.

"Honey, I'm home!"

We drove back to Langebaan where Dad and Marco were waiting for us on Catlyn.

They survived the storm during June when they had to vacate the Marina, and look for shelter in Kraalbaai. The swells were high and the wind was strong, and even the calm Kraalbaai became a turbulence of water. Jaco and his friend joined the two to help them safely around, and Marco learnt to feed the crew.

"Honey, I'm home!"

I left for six weeks and went back to my house in George. It felt so big and roomy and wonderful, and I soaked in my bath for hours. I enjoyed the earth under my fingers in my garden, I loved the smell of my washing on the line, I stared into the licking flames of my fire place and every morning woke up looking at the blue of the sea.

But it happened. It was the call of the blue sea every morning. I woke up and I wanted to go back. My lovely wooden house just didn't fit my bones any more. I felt awkward. I felt out of place. Not even my hot tub could keep me there. I had to go back!

I crept back into my rocking bed on Catlyn, enjoyed the stream of hot shower water in my tub, wait for the whistle of my blue kettle, and I felt the sting of a sheet running through my fingers.

"Honey, I'm Home!"

No comments: