Sunday, March 20, 2011

Another day


Do you sometimes wish you could turn back Time? Since we left Walvis Bay Johan turned back the clock a whole four hours and there is one hour to go for Brazil time. We are in control of the setting of our Time…
Yesterday has been a frustrating sail day. We got spoilt with the lovely steady trade winds for the last couple of days, and then with all the heavy cumulus clouds surrounding us, and the pressure touchable we had no wind. It was raining all around us, and at last we were washed down with the first fresh water in three months. Still no fish, and today we changed a lure to freshen up the menu.
I had an experience last night. After a day of no wind slowly the wind was picking up steadily during my shift, ( 21h00-24h00) and I enjoyed a nice sail trying to make up for lost time. I stayed for another hour, knowing that Joe is still enjoying his sleep, and 01h00 I woke him. The wind was picking up strongly, and we realized that we need to take down the screecher because this is the most important sail for this journey. But it wasn’t so easy, the wind picked up very quickly to over 25 knots and I was at the helm, trying to steer Catlyn in the dark, and take the pressure off the sail. When it is dark everything seems to be worse… My poor knees were trembling with the adrenaline pumping, and I tried to keep them stable against the chair. Thank God for being soft on us. It is great to learn from soft lessons…
Reef early reef deep!
When the sun came up this morning while I was listening to the Namibian girl, Andra on Johan’s Blackberry, I had warmth of gratefulness over me. We take being safe and waking up a morning for granted.

Ps. Get yourselve some of her music...

No comments: